Saturday, November 12, 2005

Wal-Mart vs. Christmas

While perusing the online version of the Conway, Arkansas Log Cabin Democrat this morning, I came across the story of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights proposed boycott of Wal-Mart. Apparently, Wal-Mart changed it's traditional "Merry Christmas" to "Happy Holidays" because there are so many year-end celebrations by different faiths and the Catholics are all fired up over it.

The thing that really gets my goat is the lack of tolerance by the Catholic League. Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit! You mean there's really more than one celebration going on in December?! And all along I thought that Hanukkah and Kwanzaa were just myths! Give me a break, people. "Happy Holidays" is something generic you can say for the entire 2 last months of the year. It doesn't mean that Christmas has all of the sudden been abolished just because you weren't greeted with "Merry Christmas" when you walked through the doors of Wal-Mart. It means that this is America and there is more than one religion out there and "Happy Holidays" is a way to include everyone. I swear, some people...

No comments: