Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Hey, Culligan Man!

Living in Montana, where the water was nothing short of just plain nasty-tasting, I became a fan of the Culligan Man. Although I swear I tried to get used to the not-quite-as-bad-as-Montana water, I just couldn't do it. Thankfully, Kenin agreed, and I had wonderful Culligan bottled water back in my abode within 2 weeks of moving to Iowa. Life has been good water-wise... until now. (Okay, perhaps that's just a wee bit more dramatic than things actually are, but read on, and you'll see what I mean.)

Last Friday, I had 2 bottles of water delivered. All was well until I went to change out an empty bottle later that evening. As I was lifting the new bottle into the cooler, I noticed some water on the floor, but didn't really think too much about it because, well, I have kids and a husband and you know how they can be. However, once the new bottle was in place, there was a strange bubbling sound, and I saw a crack in the bottle. Of course, this crack just had to be in the worst possible place - at the bottom of the bottle. At this point, I figured I had two options: 1) let almost 5 gallons of water slowly dribble out through the crack and all over my kitchen floor, or 2) change out the offensive bottle and replace it with one without a crack. Naturally, I chose option number 2, intending to call Culligan and ask for a credit.

So this morning, I called Culligan and asked to have more water delivered and about a possible credit for the screwed up bottle. Know what they told me? They said they'd give me a $1 credit. One dollar????? Are they nuts? That five gallon bottle of water that I couldn't drink cost me $4! So now I'm supposed to pay $3 for water I never even got to use? I don't think so! Now I can get redneck when I have to, and this situation might just warrant that. It's not like I'm trying to get free water from them or anything. I just don't want to pay from something that I didn't use. I think I'll accost the Culligan Man when he comes tomorrow and see what happens.

No comments: