Thursday, July 31, 2008

keeping up with current events

While watching CNN this morning, they had a segment about a 'bedrest' study that NASA's doing to examine the effects of weightlessness, which I thought was pretty interesting. But even more interesting was the Pillow Astronaut Blog, written by one of the study participants. I'm not so sure I could do it, but the materialistic weasel in me could put the $17K in reimbursement to good use. Nah, I think I'll stick to being a mom. It's considerably less pay, but pretty damn rewarding.

++++++++++++++++++++

Have you heard about the bill that was just signed into law that is giving up to $450 billion (yes, BILLION, with a B) to help out homeowners that can't pay their mortgage? Now, not to be a bitch here, but WTF? I'm sorry, but when I ended up losing my home because there were major medical bills (no credit cards, thank you very much) and no money coming in, did someone offer to bail me out? Uh, no.

Now I totally think that if people were taken advantage of by unscrupulous mortgage brokers, then by all means, help them out. But if they can't pay the bills because they didn't read the fine print or are too busy buying a new Mercedes, then shouldn't they be on their own? And what about all the people who've already been foreclosed on? Do they not get bailed out just because they weren't able to hang on until now? And what about the people who lost jobs and can no longer pay for their homes? Should they be helped, too? And just whose ass will we pull the $450 billion with a B out of? 'Cause I gotta be honest with ya, I just don't have that kind of cash, laying around or otherwise. Our government is creating a very dangerous precedent.

++++++++++++++++++++

One last tidbit... What the hell was John McCain thinking with his newest anti-Obama ad? Britney Spears and Paris Hilton? You know those two couldn't figure out how to vote if someone did it for them. That ad just makes McCain look like a bonehead.

No comments: